CfA [closed]: 2 part-time Research Assistant Positions (50% each) in India for a period of 4 months each
International Centre for Advanced Study: Metamorphoses of the Political (ICAS: MP) invites applications for two posts of research assistant for a pilot project in its module, History as a Political Category (ICAS TM1) The tenure of the post is 4 months each. The research will be conducted under the supervision of Principal Investigators at ICAS partner institutions, Centre for the Study of Developing Societies-Sarai (CSDS-Sarai) and Centre for Studies in Social Sciences, Calcutta (CSSSC).
The broad task of the RAs will be to assist the principal Investigators of the project “Objects, Media Practices, Aesthetics and Politics: Material Histories and Cultural Imaginaries, India 1940-1960.” The focus of this project is to develop an archive of advertisements and publicities used to promote consumption of commodities through commercial art, short film and radio in the period around Indian independence.
The project requires one researcher each in Mumbai and Kolkata, to be supervised by principal investigators at CSDS-Sarai and CSSSC. Their task will be to
- identify and make collections from relevant libraries, archival deposits, company holdings and private collections relating to advertising and publicity
- identify and interview key advertising professionals for an oral history of the field.
The researcher should fulfil the following requirements:
- good experience of archival research and field work
- residence in and familiarity with the two research sites
- good command of local languages relevant for the research, as well as good writing capacity in English.
- good computing and communication skills
- make regular postings of field notes and archive visits during tenure
- facilitate organization of a workshop to discuss preliminary research findings at the end of the period.
The post requires complete commitment. The researchers must be willing to start from February 1 2018. Remuneration will be in accordance with ICAS:MP rules.
Applicants should have a good MA or MPhil degree in the Social Sciences, or in History, Art History, Film Studies or Cultural Studies/Anthropology.
Please apply with your CV, copies of certificates and a one page statement of purpose indicating your understanding of the project in electronic form by 10 December 2017, and send the E-application to the Module Coordinator Dr Indra Sengupta by email only: email@example.com
Please note: only electronic applications will be accepted